Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Jealous of J. Crew



Grey Jumper- Criss Cross (via Goodwill) ~$5
White button up- Express (via Goodwill) ~$3.50
Black oxford shoes- Fioni (via Goodwill) ~$5
Polka dot socks- Urban Outfitters (maybe?- Old)
TOTAL COST: $13.50

            I have to give it up to J. Crew. While they produce a lot of classic, basic items, there are also show stopping ones. Jenna Lyons (President and Creative Director) has excellent instincts about pairing these pieces into truly amazing ensembles, which are really more like works of art. Like this little gem, for example…

So ridiculous, so quirky- I don’t think that most J Crew shoppers would wear this look as is, but this look, and others, speak to my (at times) off-beat sense of personal style. Today, I took a much more simple inspiration of J. Crew’s current line up. While perusing the J. Crew website, I came across this grey jumper over a white button up. I was drawn to the simplicity and familiarity of the look. Don’t I own a jumper just like that? Sure do! Here it is and yes, it has pockets just like the J. Crew version. I thrifted this little ditty for just $5, compared to the J. Crew look-a-like price of $188- that comes to a virtual savings of $183.
Want more look-a-likes? 

Here are some polka dot pieces- a super hot trend throughout the new J Crew catalog. The left is an Old Navy dress for $44 (available online only) while on the right is a similar looking J. Crew sweater for $268. Those base colors look almost identical to me… Hrm…Coincidence? 


Old Navy also just released 3 sweaters that look extremely similar to the J Crew. The major differences? Neck line (crew v. boatneck), J Crew’s version has a cute button closure in the back, the scale of the polka dots, and the price ($24 v. $268). I bought the best dupe of the group, the green one. Check them out!
Tell me readers, Which designers do you look to to inspire your ensembles? Comment or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com
Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment