Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Matchy-Matchy


Black button-up dress with small floral print- I Heart Ronson (at JC Penny) ~$20
Red braided skinny belt- H&M ~$5
Black, tan and red messenger bag with Aztec stitching- Mossimo{Target} (via Goodwill, NWT) ~$6
Tan sandals- Target ~$20
TOTAL COST: Approx. $51

            What an excellent find this bag was! It’s hard to tell from my small photograph how lovely it is and for all of $6, all I have to say is, THANK YOU to whoever donated it. The strap to the purse is easily adjustable to a wide range of lengths- this makes it easy to go from shoulder bag to cross body bag in seconds. I also like a bag that closes well. This bag closes using a fairly strong magnet/snap system. Easy enough to get into (as the owner) but not too easy. The bag also features a host of inner hiding spots (which I call “comparticles”), which, as a lady, I enjoy! Finally, my favorite feature is the size- not too big, not too small. My prerogative with a purse generally revolves around its ability to hold a bunched up cardigan. I am really beginning to believe that I am part lizard, which means if I’m out of the suns direct rays, I feel the need to cuddle under a blanket. Blankets are not highly portable, but cardigans are. I’ve been carrying this bag for a few days now and I am really pleased with how smooth, silky and real the faux-leather feels. It’s a far cry from the “pleather” of my youth (What’s up 90’s?). As a thrifty lady, I’m all about faux, because it errs on the less expensive side, however, a faux-anything is not worth the reduced price if it looks or feels comically fake. The whole idea of faux (in my opinion) is that it should be passable for the real thing by “walking around society members” (e.g. not connoisseurs of the real deal).
            A note on styling: For many years I’ve been hearing Stacey and Clinton try to help WNTW participants “unlearn” the idea that “matchy-matchy” is bad and unnecessary. Although I don’t go out of my way to match this closely every day, I like the level of coordination in this outfit. The reds in the belt and bag match well, as do the tans in the shoes and bag. Finally, the geometric straps on the sandals pair well with the angular-Aztec inspired stitching on the bag. It may be matchy-matchy, but I think it looks damn good!
            Tell me readers, Do you think this outfit is too “matchy-matchy?” Comment or email me at BsGoodwillHunting@gmail.com

As ever-
Thriftfully Yours,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment